First page Back Continue Last page Graphics
Goals of Database Modeling
Database modeling can help you achieve the following goals:
- For existing database objects:
- Visualize the schema to help analyze whether it meets requirements.
- Make any necessary modifications.
- For new database objects:
- Design schema to support business requirements.
- Generate DDL to create the required database objects.
Why Perform Database Modeling?
Visualizing existing tables in a data diagram can help you understand whether the schema might need modifications to support the business requirements.
If the tables do not already exist, you can use the same diagrammer to design them and generate the DDL scripts to create the tables.